View Single Post

Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 AM
Master

How to make a rise and fall dial indicator

1) Base: 4? x 5? x 1/2? of Aluminum.
2) Slot for the Center Pin-Slide ? Mill out a 1/2? wide slot 1/4? deep and 3-1/2? long into the base. The slot is 2? from the bottom, and 1-1/2? from the top on the left side of the base.
3) Center Pin-Slide (Key stock ? 1/2? x 1/4? x 3-1/2?): Round off one end so the slide can go into the half rounded milled out area. Next drill a 1/4? hole for the center pin-rod, (note: drill the hole slightly above the center of the slide, and 5/16? from the rounded end of the center pin-slide).
4) Flipper Rod ? 1/8? x 7/8? Brass Rod Polished for the Flipper. Then drill a 1/8? hole 1/4? deep into the base for the flipper-rod 1/2? from the right side, and 7/8? from the top of the base.
5) Flipper ? 1-1/2? x 3/16? x 3/8? Brass Bar-Stock Polished; drill a 1/8? hole thru the 3/16? brass centered and 1/4? from the end.
6) Pivot Pin-Rod hole for the base: Drill a 1/4? hole 1/4? deep 1-1/2? from the top and 1-1/4? from the right side of the base.
7) Dial indicator mounting block ? 1-1/2? x 1 x 1/2? Micarta; Drill two (2) holes for clearance for the two (2) 8-32 x 3/4? hex head socket bolts, drill the holes 5/16? from each end and 5/16? from the bottom. Next ? Drill the Block for the Dial Indicator gauge with a #9 drill for clearance 3/4? centered from side to side and 5/16? from the top of the block, then drill/countersink a 3/8?hole 1/4? to 3/16? deep to set the dial indicator into the block, (Note#1: the 3/8? counter sink will lock the dial indicator in place while allowing the indicator slide to move freely thru the #9 drill hole that was previously drilled for clearance. (Note #2: Drill and tap for the two(2) 8-32 x 1/2? deep into the base; Center the block dial indicator in-line with the Pivot Pin-Rod hole previously drilled into the base ? See #6.
8) Pivot/Center Pin-Rod: This rod should be 1/4? round rod, it?s base should be 0.246? just under 1/4? high, with the pin size needed turned down to the correct size and a total length of 1/2?. If you do not have a lathe available then just use 1/4? rod 0.246? high or just under 1/4?, Drill the center of the rod for the pin size needed, then cut a pin 1/2? long and insert into the drilled hole.

NOTE: There are two (2) Pin-Rods required for each size of pins being used for various folders. I use pin sizes of 1/16?, 0.078?, 3/32?, 1/8? to 3/16?. The size of pins totally depends upon the size of folder being made, as well as the style of folder being made, and it?s construction materials. I hope that this is of some assistance to you, and feel free to give the plans to anyone who would like them. Just don?t start making them to sell. That?s not the purpose for this being posted. I put this here is to share the knowledge available. Prior to me making and using this indicator, I might have to assemble and take down folders up to 20 to 30 sometimes just to get the rise and fall set for a folder, because it is such a slight amount that is removed at a time.

This is a photo of my first rise and fall base block.

Thanks,
Curtis Wilson